Affordable Housing Information Hub
Affordable Housing Collaborative
Voice and Action for Affordable Housing in
El Paso County
The Affordable Housing Collaborative is a fact-based independent group of advocates concerned about the critical issue of affordable housing in El Paso County. The Collaborative is not another nonprofit but an entity that grew out of the city of Colorado Springs’ partnership with Innovations in Aging Collaborative’s work on the Age-Friendly Colorado Springs housing domain.
Our goals are to:
Educate the community-at-large through fact-based research about the issue and its impact on our community.
Gain and centralize information about activities and initiatives related to affordable housing.
Influence community members to support affordable housing efforts.
Of the 260,851 households in El Paso County
HOUSEHOLDS ARE EXTREMELY-LOW INCOME EARNING LESS THAN $25,100
34,347 OF THESE HOUSEHOLDS (85%) ARE COST-BURDENED
25,879 HOUSEHOLDS (64%) ARE PAYING MORE THAN HALF OF THEIR INCOME ON HOUSING
HOUSEHOLDS ARE Very-LOW INCOME EARNING BETWEEN $25,100 AND $46,620
25,322 OF THESE HOUSEHOLDS (56%) ARE COST-BURDENED
6,131 HOUSEHOLDS (13%) ARE PAYING MORE THAN HALF OF THEIR INCOME ON HOUSING
What Can You Do?
- Have conversations with friends, colleagues and neighbors to learn about their housing challenges.
- Educate your circles of influence.
- Effect policy & regulatory decisions at the local, county and state levels.
- Look for opportunities to invest in community impact funds to help increase affordable housing units.
- Advocate for legislation that can make a difference.
- Utilize tax benefits through 1031 exchanges, donation of land, etc.
- Approach owners of vacant land with a vision for using the land for affordable housing.
- Plan and/or participate in neighborhood meetings to further educate the community about our affordable housing crisis.
- Be aware of public agencies, school districts, hospitals, universities, and religious organizations that may have surplus property and may be persuated to joint venture with for-profit or nonprofit developers to create affordable housing units.
- Learn about the use of land trusts and advocate for them as appropriate.
Get Periodic Updates
To keep up to date with our periodic emails - sign up here. As new information about affordable housing issues and activities that we deem important becomes available, we will be sending out updates to keep you informed.