Become an Advocate
Become an Affordable Housing advocate
There are many ways to get invovled and advocate for affordable housing in our community. The following page offers insights into how you can participate in the work, and additional resources for advocacy.
- Have conversations with friends, colleagues and neighbors to learn about their housing challenges – sign up to have a presentation on affordable housing in our community
- Effect policy & regulatory decisions at the local, county and state levels. Check back here regularly to learn about upcoming events and meetings
- Look for opportunities to invest in community impact funds to help increase affordable housing units
- Advocate for legislation that can make a difference – find and contact your local legislators here
- Utilize tax benefits through 1031 exchanges, donation of land, etc.
- Approach owners of vacant land with a vision for using the land for affordable housing
- Plan and/or participate in neighborhood meetings to further educate the community about our affordable housing crisis
- Be aware of public agencies, school districts, hospitals, universities, and religious organizations that may have surplus property and may be persuated to joint venture with for-profit or nonprofit developers to create affordable housing units
- Learn about the use of land trusts and advocate for them as appropriate
Learn about what you can do to advocate for affordable housing issues in the state of Colorado at Housing Colorado.
Housing Colorado is the voice and action for affordable housing in the state of Colorado. They are an industry resource for all aspects of affordable housing, including professional advocacy, issues expertise, and networking opportunities.